Students become authors with 826NYC’s imaginative and engaging extended day programming. Your students will explore new worlds in storytelling while building critical creative skills and developing confidence, commitment, and a sense of connection. With games, creative activities, and diverse media baked into every workshop, we’re the perfect fit for after school programs that emphasize fun and participation alongside learning.
The extended day program features 5-week-long themed writing units. Each session can range from 1.5-2.5 hours, depending on your school’s extended day structure. Mix and match from the following topics to create a semester of after-school programming your resident storytellers, poets, daydreamers, and authors will love!
Current topics include:
- Long, Long Ago: Myths & Origin Stories (grades 1-3)
- Spooktacular: Strange & Scary Stories (grades 1-8)
- A Picture is Worth 1,000 Words: Writing Inspired by Art (grades 1-8)
- When Worlds Collide: Fan Fiction (grades 1-8)
- Into the Unknown: Adventure Stories (grades 1-8)
- The Butler Did It: Mysteries & Whodunits (grades 4-8)
- Worlds of Tomorrow: Sci-Fi & Utopian Fiction (grades 4-8)
- Get into Character: Crafting Characters for the Stage (grades 4-8)
- Drama-Rama: Scene Writing (grades 4-8)
Workshops utilize mentor texts and media, including graphic novels, contemporary movies and television shows, and poetry, that bring these genres to life and help students connect what they’re learning and writing to books and media they know and love. By the end of each session students have developed an original piece of writing and a toolkit for approaching writing on their own terms.
To learn more, fill out this interest form. Questions or want to get in touch right away? Contact 826NYC’s Director of Education, Naomi Solomon: firstname.lastname@example.org, 332-241-7879.