I hope you and your family well and adjusting to the strange new rhythms of this time. With so many new disruptions to our normal routines, we are finding new ways to mark time and make meaning with our young authors.
826NYC has made all of our programs virtual!
• As of this writing, over 50 young people from around the City (and beyond!) have joined these cyberspace-based workshops to write screenplays, letters to friends and family.
• We continue to serve previously registered students with homework help!
• Last week we debuted quarenTEEN Voices, an open mic to share work. This week we’ll be joined by author J. Courtney Sullivan and in upcoming weeks, we’ll welcome Jacqueline Woodson, Isaac Fitzgerald, and Spike Jonze.
• Our signature Storytelling and Bookmaking field trip is now being offered virtually to schools throughout the city.
• We are completing a number of book projects with school partners that were started before the closure.
We also celebrated the publication of a chapbook written by 826NYC after school writing and tutoring students, “Maybe in 10 Years/ Quizás en 10 Años.” While a chapbook launch would usually be accompanied by a party behind the secret door of the Brooklyn Superhero Supply Co., we hope you will join us in celebrating these young authors by downloading your free copy and sharing their work with the young (or young in spirit) people in your life who could use some help imagining our brighter future in 10 years!
On behalf of all of us at 826NYC, we wish you and your family continued health. If there is anything we can do to support you or the young authors in your life, let us know.