The beginning of this school year has brought on many unexpected twists and turns, but one thing remains the same, our amazing volunteers! Meet Kerry Wimley, 826NYC’s first fall volunteer of the month. A super conversationalist and enthusiastic storyteller, learn more about Kerry and her time with 826NYC below.
1. How did you first get involved with 826NYC and why did you decide to volunteer?
I’ve always wanted to teach and I loved the idea of incorporating writing and stories into our time together. It turns out I learn just as much as I teach every time!
2. What’s your favorite part of 826NYC? The people! I love the students, staff, the other volunteers, and the community we’ve been able to find at 826NYC, even online.
3. What do you do when you’re not at 826NYC? When I’m not at 826NYC I like to travel, make art, and play soccer.
4. What advice would you give a new volunteer? Have an open mind! The students have so much to teach in their ways of seeing the world and expressing themselves.
5. What are your superpowers? My superpowers are finding joy in simple things and cultivating good conversations.
Want to connect with Kerry in the digital space? You can follow her on Facebook and Instagram @kewimley and on LinkedIn @kerrywimley!