1. How did you first get involved with 826NYC and why did you decide to volunteer?
I started volunteering with 826NYC last fall and what a year it’s been! Volunteering at 826NYC is something I’ve wanted to do since I first stepped into the Superhero Supply Co. 11 years ago on a date. When my schedule opened up last year, I immediately signed up.
2. What’s your favorite part of volunteering at 826NYC?
I really enjoy working with students and learning about their interests. When you find the right thing they’re passionate about, the students open up and you learn so much about their world.
3. What do you do when you’re not at 826NYC?
When I’m not at 826NYC, I’m at home writing, cooking, writing about cooking or taking my little dog Loki for walks around my neighborhood.
4. What advice would you give a new volunteer?
In my experience, students respond to genuine connections. Even though the time with them is short, take a few minutes to learn more than just their names. What they did yesterday, what they watched on Youtube, how their day went.
5. What are your superpowers?
Inventing new ice cream flavors and petting all the dogs.