Meet Our November Volunteer of the Month: Lara Bergen
1. How did you first get involved with 826NYC and why did you decide to volunteer?
I decided to volunteer with 826NYC last year, at same time I was deciding to take at least a year off from teaching 12th Grade English. Working in a public school reinforced to me how essential creative writing and thinking, free from grades and standards, is to students, and how little time there is for that in most ELA curriculums.
2. What’s your favorite part of volunteering at 826NYC?
My favorite part of volunteering at 826NYC is, of course, getting to know and working with the students(!) and seeing them take pride in their writing.
3. What do you do when you’re not at 826NYC?
When I’m not at 826NYC I work on my own writing (and rewriting)!
4. What advice would you give a new volunteer?
A relatively new volunteer myself, I’d advise fellow new volunteers to make time to get to know their students and their interests–during every visit, not just the first.
5. What are your superpowers?
My superpowers are a love of learning, speedy typing, and a super supportive family!