Meet Our May Volunteer of the Month: Bob Barber
1. How did you first get involved with 826NYC and why did you decide to volunteer?
I got involved with 826NYC because I recently retired and wanted to do something with kids. I live around the corner from the Park Slope location so I checked it out and it seemed perfect. Since I wanted to work with younger kids, I opted for the Williamsburg location.
2. What’s your favorite part of volunteering at 826NYC?
I love listening to what the kids have to say about anything, especially talking about their lives and families and school.
3. What do you do when you’re not at 826NYC?
As I said, I am partially retired from being a graphic designer but do one big project per year on a freelance basis. I also have on ongoing project of creating abstract photo collages. And, lets not forget that I’m a husband with two grown children living in Brooklyn.
4. What advice would you give a new volunteer?
Study up on math!!! And, to just sit back and admire the vivid imaginations of these kids.
5. What are your superpowers?
My superpowers are not what they used to be, but I think I’m a good listener and can offer good advice, most of the time.