Meet our July Volunteer of the Month: Nora Pelizzari
July 6, 2016
1. How did you first get involved with 826NYC and why did you decide to volunteer?
I knew about 826 from years back, when it first started. Then, when I was in grad school in Dublin and had more free time than I was used to, I volunteered at Fighting Words–a center founded by an Irish author based on the 826 model. And it was by far the best part of my week! So when I came back to NYC, I knew I had to get involved.
2. What’s your favorite part of volunteering at 826NYC?
All the characters, whether they are in a story or writing the story!
3. What do you do when you’re not at 826NYC?
By day, I work in marketing and communications. I also do some freelance editing. By night, I love to see live music and listen to writers read their work.
4. What advice would you give a new volunteer?
Be open and listen actively. There are so many stories in this room at all times–some of them just need a little help making out of a writer’s head and onto the page.
5. What are your superpowers?
I can smell grammatical errors from 100 yards. I can find a story anywhere. And I can create joy using only an oven and the contents of my cupboard.