826NYC Journalism Teaching Artist
About 826NYC and Write All About It
826NYC — a Brooklyn-based writing and tutoring nonprofit — is hiring a dynamic and experienced Teaching Artist for its Write All About It program. Write All About It will provide middle school students from marginalized and under-resourced communities in Brooklyn with an ongoing, year-round journalism workshop focused on building expository writing skills, while developing students’ confidence, sense of community, and civic responsibility. 826NYC will publish student pieces on a rolling basis in an online magazine, managed via Medium.
Students enrolled in the journalism program will learn how to conduct interviews, research articles, and write compelling, factual, newsworthy stories rooted in their local community. Students will be encouraged to examine issues that impact and interest them locally, and to draw connections to national events and movements.
Overview of Position
826NYC is seeking a Teaching Artists to design the curriculum for and lead this journalism program. Meetings will be once per week from 4-5:30pm, and will be conducted via Zoom until 826NYC resumes in-person programming, after which the program will meet in person at 826NYC’s center in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Seeking a start date as early as mid-February.
The Teaching Artist should not only be a writer with a journalism background, but also be passionate about literacy education and have experience working with students. This position will be supervised and supported by the 826NYC Director of Education. Teaching Artists will also have the support of trained volunteers, who assist students with their writing during workshop sessions. The output of this program will be the regular publication of student work via Medium. The teaching artist will be responsible for overseeing the posting process.
Reports to: 826NYC Director of Education
Supervises: Project volunteers
Duration and Hours: Weekly 90-minute sessions throughout the school year; possible extension into summer; plus planning time
Pay: $40/hr in the classroom plus $20/hr paid time for planning and training
– Design an age-appropriate, project-based journalism curriculum for students grades 5-8
– Facilitate each weekly session
– Communicate regularly with the Director of Education
– Oversee on-site volunteers, acting as a liaison between volunteers and students
– Coordinate the ongoing publication of student work on Medium.com
– Submit lesson plans, timesheets, reports, and other administrative documents
– Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience
– Demonstrated excellence in journalistic writing
– Experience working with youth
– A passion to improve literacy and a deep commitment to student success
– Exceptional communication skills, both written and interpersonal
– Excellent organizational skills: ability to multi-task
– A strong work ethic, a collaborative spirit, self-starter
– Proficient with computer applications — (i.e. Microsoft Office suite)
– A deep passion and commitment to the mission of 826NYC
How to Apply
Please submit your application here.
HOURS OF OPERATION
- Mon – Fri – Closed
- Sat – Sun – 12:00PM-5:00PM