Fall 2018: 826NYC Writers’ Room Intern at PS 7 Middle School
Position: 826NYC Writers’ Room Intern at PS 7 Middle School
Location: P.S. 7, 160 E 120th St, New York, NY 10035
Hours: 11-12 hours a week, Tuesday-Friday 8:30 am-2:30 pm
826NYC is a nonprofit organization that focuses on encouraging the exploration of endless possibility through the power of writing. Our mission is to empower students with the skills to write their own paths forward, undefined by circumstance, and to support new and exciting approaches to writing and inspire student engagement. We offer a variety of inventive programs that provide under-resourced students ages 6-18 with opportunities to explore their creativity and improve their writing skills including: After-School Tutoring, Field Trips, Workshops, the Writers’ Room, and In-Schools programs. Our mission is based on the understanding that great leaps in learning can happen with individualized attention, and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success.
The Writers’ Room program serves 250 students in sixth through eighth grade with year-round, writing, and literacy support at PS 7 in East Harlem. We work with classes of students in small groups and one-to-one on creative and expository writing projects. From playwriting to op-eds, and poetry to science fiction, we give students the space to develop their literacy skills and exercise their imaginations.
826NYC seeks an intern to help with the daily operations of the Writers’ Room. The Writers’ Room intern will commit to assisting with at least three days a week. Programming runs Tuesday – Friday from 8:30-2:30pm. Tasks will include providing writing-based tutoring to students, helping develop and facilitate writing curriculum, and assisting with administrative duties.
Projects and responsibilities include (but are not limited to):
- Assisting Writers’ Room Coordinator with planning and delivery of writing curriculum
- Providing writing-based tutoring to students
- Conducting education research to enhance Writers’ Room programming
- Assisting with the development and delivery of specialized Writers’ Room volunteer trainings
- Assisting with the production of student publications (editing, copyediting, book production, etc.)
- Tracking student attendance and other data
- Assisting with programs-related administrative work
Candidate must have:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- An interest in supporting middle school students in their emotional and intellectual development
- A strong attention to detail and strong organization skills
- An interest in education, writing, and a passion for the 826NYC mission
- Experience working with youth (e.g. in school support such as teaching assistants, youth camp, after-school programs) a plus, but not required
- Knowledge of Google Docs and Sheets a plus, but not required
- A personal laptop to use in the office a plus, but not required
As an 826NYC Intern you will receive the following perks:
- Experience teaching and developing writing curriculum for public school students
- Opportunities to participate in 826NYC events
- A forty percent discount at the 826NYC Superhero Supply Store
- The opportunity to impact a growing local nonprofit and working relationships to last a lifetime
Please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. No phone calls please.